Contrary to popular belief, dentures are some of the most popular and functional restorative dentistry procedures available. Our Upper East Side dentists love talking about dentures and are happy to provide a list of benefits they can bring. One of the most important things to know, however, is how to maintain proper dentures aftercare after the treatment takes place. Here is everything you need to know.
Take Time for Adjustment
There will be an adjustment period when you first receive your dentures. Some of the things you should expect as you learn how to maintain proper dentures aftercare is:
- You should leave your dentures in for the first 24 hours after they are installed.
- You may feel full in your mouth, and you will experience increased saliva.
- You may develop some sore spots around the dentures area in your mouth.
What Not to Do
Just as important as knowing what to expect, is knowing what not to do as part of dentures aftercare. Here is a list of no-no’s that you should follow strictly:
- Do not wear your dentures while you sleep!
- Do not take out your dentures within the first 24 hours of having them installed.
- Do not eat foods with your front teeth, or foods that are too hard at first.
Maintain Oral Hygiene
It is important that you maintain regular oral hygiene with and without the dentures in your mouth. You should be brushing and flossing at least twice a day, using a soft toothbrush as not to dislodge the dentures. You can clean the dentures themselves by removing them and brushing them with a toothbrush or by using a dental cream.
Invest in Dentures with Us Today!
Are you interested in this easy, restorative dentistry procedure? If you think you’ve got a handle on dentures aftercare, visit us at William Schlesinger, DDS in Upper East Side Manhattan today. You can give us a call at (212) 517-5940 to make an appointment at any time. Also, feel free to contact us online as well.